Despite some minor annoyances (see here) I love my new nook Simple Touch Reader. To help out first time users of the device who might be struggling I’ve decided to post a new series of tutorials. The goal of these article is to provide users with detailed step-by-step instructions for completing specific tasks on the nook.
Today Barnes & Noble announced the release of the very first firmware update for their new nook Simple Touch e-reader. It’s a minor update labeled version 1.0.1 that directly addresses some early customer feedback about the device. According to the company, the update provides the following changes:
Connect more easily to Wi-Fi hotspots
Improved touchscreen responsiveness
Enhanced accuracy of battery meter
It doesn’t sound very exciting, but it’s an update none the less. I installed it earlier today without a hitch and though I don’t see any visible changes, everything appears to be running smoothly.
Barnes and Noble will be pushing the update to all Simple Touch Readers over the air by groupings of serial numbers over the next few days, but if you don’t want to wait, you can manually update your nook following the instructions below, which come directly from the B&N support website. Enjoy!
To Manually Update the Firmware to v1.0.1:
- From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file’s name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
- Tap Settings on your NOOK’s Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.
- Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a “USB Mode” message on your NOOK screen.
- From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
- Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.
- Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
- Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
- Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart.
- The software has been successfully updated; tap on the small “n” that appears in the status bar for additional information.
(NOTE: Your NOOK must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, your NOOK will reboot itself back to the Home screen or the last screen you were on. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK and check to see that your software version is 1.0.1.)
Got a question about the nook Simple Touch Reader? Is there a feature or function you’d like to see explained in detail in a future post? Comment below!