Welcome to Verisimilitudes, our regular round-up of the past week’s activity. It’s your one-stop source for all of the bits and bleeps we’ve been posting here and on social platforms.
Things we loved:
- Do you have a lackluster love life? Check out this sex advice from famous authors, courtesy of Flavorwire
- Our friend Chad W Post from Open Letter Books revealed his 20 favorite books in translation
- The Huffington Post told us about the 10 best novels for various social occasions
Things you may have missed:
- This week is Banned Books Week. Here’s 5 ways to show your support
- We told you about the 2013 National Book Awards Longlists for nonfiction and fiction
- We gave you an overview of the Scotiabank Giller Prize 2013 Longlist
- Aaron had a conversation with fellow BookerMarks members Michelle and Jackie about Ruth Ozeki’s Booker-nominated novel, A Tale for the Time Being, in this week’s edition of Conversational Era
- Love to read translations? Check out our new segment, New In Translation
- We told you about the best new fiction releases for October 2013
- We reviewed the following books and short stories:
- In this week’s edition of #Hashtags, Aaron discusses banned books, Jake Gyllenhaal, and admits to being a “header whore”
- We gave you a few ideas for a cheap and easy literary Halloween costume
- We announced October’s Critical Era Book Club selection. Next month, we will be reading The Facades by Eric Lundgren and discussing the book with the author via Skype on October 24th at 9 PM (EST).